THE NEWARK MILK AND CREAM COMPANY CREAMERY

The Newark Milk and Cream Company creamery is in the Town of Columbia in the hamlet of South Columbia.

The building was built in 1930 and features terra cotta floors throughout the milk processing and cheese storage areas. The building has 6,000 square feet of well designed industrial space necessary to support the operations of a creamery. Tile work is a feature of creameries for their sanitary requirements and is evident throughout the building on the floors and walls in the “Laboratory”,” Can room” and “Cream Separator” areas on the upper level. The bulk of the building was devoted to the storage and preparation of cheese and dairy products. The “Boiler Room” and “Machine Room” feature wall and ceiling wainscoting typical of creameries from this era.

The Newark Milk and Cream Company (NM&CC), located in Newark, New Jersey, later became part of the Alderney Dairy Company. The South Columbia creamery always operated under the NM&CC brand name and their milk cans are easily found on many area dairy farms today. The Lackawanna Railroad mainline (now New Jersey Transit’s “Morris and Essex Division”) serves Newark and so the New Jersey business established Lackawanna branch “Creameries” like ours, to prepare dairy products for the New York region. Passenger trains served the extensive network of Lackawanna Railroad branches such as the Richfield Springs Branch making transportation of the heavy commodities possible. Many of the dairy farmers in the South Columbia area used the Creamery up until the early 1960’s when a contentious battle with the newer technology of farms using milk truck pick up wiped out the rural creamery network.

Take a moment to view a few photographs of the Creamery today and yesterday.

 

The Creamery at South Columbia on a Special event day.

THE BOILER ROOM:

The Boiler Room at a creamery is a busy place. Creameries used hot water and steam for the operations involved with the processing of milk. Here are a few views of the NM&CC boiler room entrance area and some history old and new.

Creamery manager George Dowd (right) and his men keeping things running in the 1940’s.

Another view of the Boiler section of the Creamery in this undated photograph.

The entrance area in the summer of 2009 during the restoration process.

The entrance area in the winter of 2010 after restoration.

A cold winter day at the creamery in the 1940’s.